Home Page
  • March 19, 2024, 05:01:31 am *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official site launch very soon, hurrah!

Author Topic: My New Boot Loader  (Read 21479 times)

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
My New Boot Loader
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:11:35 pm »

Original post for My New Boot Loader can be found at https://www.castledragmire.com/Posts/My_New_Boot_Loader.
Originally posted on: 10/25/09

I have been a proponent and user of pre-boot authentication volume (hard drive) encryption for quite a while now, but there is one security hole in it that always bugged me. This is the fact that the boot loader (the code at the beginning [sector 0] of the hard drive that starts the computer [usually loads the operating system]) is unencrypted itself and can be tampered with. Even though the encrypted data is completely safe from reading without a password, the password itself could be hijacked from someone modifying the boot loader and having it record your password when you type it. This hack could also be made hard to detect because the original boot loader could be restored from the hijacked one after the damage is done.

I decided this was a moot point for a long time, until I saw it got slashdotted. This prompted me to finally change my security model slightly so I was no longer vulnerable to this problem. The appropriate method is to always use a known secure TrueCrypt rescue disk, which contains its own boot loader, to boot the hard drive. Unfortunately, CDs are a bit cumbersome to always keep around. The workaround for me was to use a bootable USB Flash Drive instead, as I keep it on my keychain which is always with me. Getting the TrueCrypt boot loader to work from the flash drive was not easy at all due to how bootable flash drives work (they take the hard drive #0 slot in BIOS, which Windows doesn’t like). It took some GRUB4DOS magic to get things going, but it all ended up working out :-).

I removed the TrueCrypt boot loader from my hard drive so I would not be tempted to use it, and would always use the flash drive. This left the boring message of “Error loading operating system” upon booting without the flash drive, which I just couldn’t stand, so I decided to have some fun writing my own “Operating System Not Found” boot loader :-).

Video Notes:
  • It’s a lot harder to spot the hidden text string from the video than from the actual thing x.x;
  • The boot loader was ran through a virtual machine (VMWare) so I could easily record it.

Here is the code for the boot loader (in assembly), and here is the compiled boot loader which can be placed in the boot sector of any bootable medium (Hard Drive, USB Flash, CD, etc).

Warning:

Do not attempt to replace the boot loader on your hard drive without knowing what you are doing, as this is a very dangerous operation that can make your computer unbootable. Always back up your boot loader before making modifications to it so you can easily restore it. Also, when writing a boot loader, do not overwrite bytes 0x1BE-0x1FD of your boot sector as they contain important partition information.

Useful Wikipedia references: INT 10 (BIOS interrupt call for video services), BIOS Color Attributes

R1

• View Profile
Re: My New Boot Loader
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 12:01:57 am »

Hi Jeffrey,

I came across your article on how you moved your boot  loader to a USB whilst trying to find out why I'm having problems doing  the same  :-[

I am running Windows 7 x64 from a 40GB SSD with a 4x 500GB in a Raid-0 array which I use for storage.
I have fully encrypted both my logical drives using Truecrypt, the RAID drive is mounted when the PC starts as a "System favorite"
I then create rescue disk iso that I add to my bootable USB Dongle using a program called XBoot  which uses Grub4DOS.
I can access the Truecrypt Rescue disk via the USB Dongle.
All good so far, everything works!  :D

Unfortunately when I try to enter the password for my Truecrypt encrypted system it tells me that there are no bootable partitions then (confusingly) says "Booting" but nothing happens  ???

You indicated that you had a problem and was hoping that this is the problem that you overcame using some magical Grub4DOS fu!

Hope you can help

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:28 pm »

I had to go look up a lot of old logs and find some old files to remember what all I had done for all this, as it's been a while :-\

When I was running on x86 laptops, I used Grub (Grub4Dos?) as the boot loader, and had the following in its conf to load truecrypt and other linux ISOs from the usb key:
Code: [Select]
timeout 10

title Load Truecrypt - HD Mode RAW
map --memdisk-raw=1
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
map --mem (hd1,0)/boot/Truecrypt.iso (0xFF)
map --hook
chainloader (0xFF)
boot

title Load Truecrypt - HD Mode
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
map --mem (hd1,0)/boot/Truecrypt.iso (0xFF)
map --a20-keep-on=1
map --hook
chainloader (0xFF)
boot

title Ultimate Boot CD v4.11
find --set-root /boot/ubcd411.iso
map /boot/ubcd411.iso (0xff) || map --mem /boot/ubcd411.iso     (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

title Ubuntu 9.10
find --set-root /boot/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
map /boot/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash locale=am.UTF-8 --
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
boot

title CentOS 5.5 Install
find --set-root /CentOSInstall.iso
map /CentOSInstall.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /isolinux/vmlinuz
initrd /isolinux/initrd.img
boot

Grub is really useful in that it can allow you to choose from multiple ISOs on your usb drive to boot your computer from. The problem with booting windows+truecrypt from a usb is that windows always expects itself to be booted from drive #0. So part of this grub boot loading process is to swap the usb drive (currently drive #0) and your windows drive (currently drive #1) in the bios before loading truecrypt.

Unfortunately, I believe Grub2 might have broken a lot of the key words, or they have changed, so this won't work out-of-box without some modification.

Another problem is computers with EFI (instead of BIOS). Most new computers nowadays (especially x64), I believe, come with UEFI, which Grub is not compatible with by default, kind of. On my macbook I had a lot of compatibility trouble with grub on my usb key, so I ended up using Universal USB Installer to install a copy of ubuntu on the cd to get grub on it. From there, I deleted all the folders but:
  • /.disk
  • /boot/grub
  • /EFI/BOOT
And then modified /boot/grub/grub.cfg as follows to load some different ISOs

if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then
    set gfxmode=auto
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod gfxterm
    terminal_output gfxterm
fi

set menu_color_normal=white/black
set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray

menuentry "Ubuntu 12.10 x64" {
    set gfxpayload=keep
    set isofile="/ISOs/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64.iso"
    loopback loop (hd1,msdos1)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

menuentry "Ubuntu 12.10 x86" {
    set gfxpayload=keep
    set isofile="/ISOs/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso"
    loopback loop (hd1,msdos1)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

So with the right options you should be able to load truecrypt through this grub setup. If you get it working, I'd love for you to post them here, as I have not spent the time to do it on my Macbook.

Also note that on x64 machines you shouldn't be able to load x86 ISOs, and vice versa.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:28:28 pm by Dakusan »

R1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:51:45 pm »

First let me thank you for your efforts!
Muchly appreciated  :)

Sorry been so late getting back to you by the way, I've been battling with DD-WRT on an old router........but that's another story!

I plan on using this method on all my systems (once it works!) and as one of them will be using UEFI the last part of your post is perfect.
Saying that I may just use Qubes on the UEFI capable laptop as it's the only one of my systems with Vt-d & TPM and Qubes has some sort of "Anti evil maid" system.

Wish I got into Linux earlier as my life would be much easier now I'm all security conscious  :-[

Anyway I'm going to try those map commands and I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

R1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 03:15:10 am »

Hello again Jeffrey,

so.....I've been having problems  ;D

basically I have got this to work only on a USB stick where I have "flipped" the removable bit so that the USB stick reads as a USB HDD.
On a standard USB depending on which method I use I get one of two behaviours:
  • The truecrypt rescue disk boots and after typing in the password it says "Booting" but then nothing happens
  • The truecrypt rescue disk boots and after typing in the password it says "Incorrect password" !?!
Oddly enough when trying the other rescue disk options they do not affect anything, i.e. if I ask it to restore the original Win 7 bootloader it says that it's done it but it hasn't.

Any thoughts, I was going to give a blow by blow account of all the different ways I've tried this, screenshots and all but I thought I'd answer your questions as they come  :P

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:55:55 am by R1 »

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 05:56:15 pm »

Sorry I haven't had time to reply on this, I have been very busy :-(. And I didn't see your private message because the forum used to not warn me about those.

I am actually not incredibly knowledgeable about GRUB or the booting process in general, I just messed around with the stuff until I got it working, and was able to post that up. So I can give general advice at this point but not definite knowledge.

From the sound of it, it still sounds like you aren't using the lines to swap the harddrive numbers in grub.

In the old version of grub, this was
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)

But I don't know the equivalent in the new version.

R1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:40 pm »

That's no problem at all, unfortunately I know the feeling.

I used the drivemapping as you described and it worked just like you said it would, but only using one of my USB sticks :-(.

When I tried it using my Datasur AES USB stick I had the problems that I described previously.

Anyway I have now found a slightly different solution using an Android app called Drivedroid which allows you to create bootable virtual USB sticks on your phone!
This in combination with Diskcryptor is working well for me.

If you feel like compiling your own kernel then you can use Drivedroid as a virtual CD drive to!

As an added layer of security I keep the USB images encrypted on the phone using an app called Cryptonite that implements EncFS, this in turn is cloud synced via Dropbox (and soon Ownsync)

All in all I feel pretty good about my security now, but that's not stopping me from feeling it necessary to set up QubesOS as a management station.

It seems that a tin foil hat wearing geeks work is never done  ;D