Home Page
  • March 19, 2024, 04:54:27 am *
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Official site launch very soon, hurrah!

Author Topic: Status Hot Keys  (Read 51365 times)

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
Status Hot Keys
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:37:18 am »

Full content for the Status Hot Keys project can be found at https://www.castledragmire.com/Projects/Status_Hot_Keys.

Description: A Pidgin plugin that utilizes global shortcut keys (hotkeys) to set status and manipulate the buddy window visibility
Information: Dynamically configure any global hot key to: Set availability status (message can be chosen many ways including via a popup); Move pidgin Buddy List to top/bottom of windows; Hide the Buddy List window or taskbar window.
Languages: C

Dakusan_RestorePosts

• View Profile
Re: Status Hot Keys
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 03:09:00 am »

[Posted by unknown romb]

But ... for me and other guys  migrated from miranda it would be great to have one more useful feature  :) I'm talking about assigning a hotkey to focus proper chat tab/window  when there are pending unread messages (tray icon flashes).
Thanks again :)

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:55 am »

This should be relatively easy. I'll look into getting that done in the very near future :-).

Dakusan_RestorePosts

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:17:00 pm »

[Posted by Pennidren]

Great project man!
Minor request if you have the time; I think it'd be  easy enough.
Can you add, in addition to Focus Buddy List and Hide Buddy  List, a Toggle Buddy List that will show/hide back and forth as  appropriate?  It would complete the package for me :)

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:59:19 pm »

Do you mean like when double clicking the taskbar/docklet icon? If so, sure, I should be able to get that one done within a few days when I have the time.

FYI to romb, if you hadn't noticed, I got your request online 3 days ago :-) (figured I should mention it here too).

[Edit on 2/27/2010] Waiting to here if that is what you are asking for x.x;
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:04:15 pm by Dakusan »

mihai.birsan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:30:01 pm »

Hello, Dakusan.

Thanks for the great project! It's the perfect replacement for the recently unmaintained pidgin_hotkeys plugin.

Just like romb I was looking for the "switch to most recent message" hotkey option, so thanks for implementing!

And like Pennidren I'd love the "Toggle" option. However, I'd love it worked like "Activate or Hide", namely: Focus the Buddy List if it's not focused; hide it if it's focused.

Thanks again!

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »

One of the problems is that I don't want to make the number of possible options bloated and confusing, and adding in too many ways to hide/display the buddy list might do that... Technically implementing either of these would already be duplicating functionality (hide/show can be bound to separate keys...).

Even so, I think it would be good to go ahead and implement at least one of the two... and I'm thinking the toggle visibility (not paying attention to focus) would be more useful to people.

I guess I COULD add both... but I have had a past bad habit of adding too many features in my apps and causing bloat (not code, but user interface), and I'm trying to avoid that nowadays. x.x;

Any thoughts anyone? If I don't hear anything convincing in the near future, I'll probably add a hotkey to duplicate the functionality of double clicking the task tray icon.

On another note, I already have the option to stop displaying the buddy list in the task tray... and I'm thinking about adding another option to not have it show up in alt+tab. This would take a large rewrite of the functionality of a few sections though and I'm not sure if I want to deal with that without the pressing need to, heh. Would this be really useful to anyone? (Not that I'm necessarily expecting many people to see this :-(. Original intent of this site was to get a large user base going but then I never pushed or advertised it, bleck).

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 07:20:53 pm »

I just installed a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 in vmware with Pidgin 2.7.3 to confirm this and focusing the buddy list (ctrl+shift+t by default) seems to work for me?

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:52:05 pm »

Nope, sorry. Since there are so many Linux distributions you generally can't compile one "universal binary" like you can for windows. It's one of the downsides of Linux, but they go with a different paradigm for it via package management systems. Someone would have to make a package of it for your specific distribution for that to be possible. That being said, if you are running Unbuntu (just a guess), I think all you have to do (if memory serves) is extract the source, edit the "INSTALL_PATH" in config.linux to point to your libpurple user directory (hopefully it should already be right), and then run "make install".

Dakusan_RestorePosts

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 12:00:00 am »

[Posted by unknown user]

Says "Error: ABI version mismatch 2.6.x (need 2.5.x)Check the plugin website for an update."

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 02:07:41 pm »

Sigh. A pidgin version update must have broken compatibility. I'll look into getting this recompiled and/or fixed in the next few days. Thanks for the report.

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 11:45:40 pm »

I installed the latest version of pidgin on a fresh windows install and could not reproduce the problem. Could you give me more information that might help me reproduce this? Operating system version and CPU type (x86 or x64)? If there is any other information that might help me diagnose it?

If you are running linux, you might check this thread: https://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/14490

proxy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 06:39:03 pm »

Dakusan, are you still open for user feature requests with this plugin?

When Status Hot Keys is the only plugin for binding hot keys to focus buddy list I'm missing feature that Meta Key (Windows Key in my mind) works as modifier, like CTRL, ALT, SHIFT guys.

Or is it even possible to make Meta Key as a modifier?

Best regards,
~proxy

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 04:22:03 pm »

Strange, I checked the code and it looks like it was programmed to accept the windows key as a meta/bucky key. I tested it myself and I have confirmed it does not seem to be working as intended with that. To help me narrow down the problem, what operating system are you using? Do you happen to be using apple hardware?

proxy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 06:21:33 pm »

I'm using up to date Win7 with standard Windows keyboard layout.

Windows Key is detected correctly as Meta_L so the problem is not in hardware.

Just can't make 'Meta_L + w' combination.