Official site launch very soon, hurrah!

Poll

HyNes is the best looking Emulator?

Yes!
- 1 (100%)
No!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Release HyNES source code :)  (Read 18108 times)

thehopeman

• View Profile
Release HyNES source code :)
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:46:04 pm »

Hi DakuSan

I was wondering if you would release the sourceCode for Hynes anytime soon, I would really like to work on it to continue adding support for this very nice emulator. I have a good BASIC programming background. and it seems that this emulator encapsulate the spirit within it`s GUI.  That is Why I want to work on it .. Please get back to me even if it`s a no :) Thanx and have a nice day!

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
Re: Release HyNES source code :)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 12:12:07 am »

Thank you for your interest, but I would rather not. It is a very old piece of software from the beginning of my programming career (well over a decade old), and it's quite honestly horribly written and I don't release source code that's not clean. I was still learning while I was writing it, so it's also not the best thing to learn from. Besides that, it was written for Visual Basic v4-v6, which was supplanted by VB.NET over 10 years ago. I know very few people that would actually still have VB6 installed, let alone use it. If you are still interested though, there are many open source emulators, including BasicNES, which was already written in VB and was based upon a lot of the same technologies.

thehopeman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:19:37 pm »

You know I don`t care about.. clean code or not..  I just want to continue something that`s spirited , I could easily convert this to native Win32 BASIC code. Without even using VB6.
The only difficult part is converting the FRMs. Which is the challenge I seek for. I followed your emulator since the beginning and during the HARD days.. when everyone was saying it was vaporware i knew that someone would never spend so much time making such a GUI without something else.... This said I hope you will share this unique emulator with at least ME (In case you don`t want a public source release which i understand). You made a really great job here proving the world that devotion can overcome any limitation.. YES I CAN OVERCOME the.. 7MB runtimes of VB6!!! :P (Back in the days.. with 56KBaud modems... it was something.) . not many program made it that far. A full featured NES emulator using a Noobs coding language. You stole the show my friend. I hope to get some news.. :P

P.S. : BasicNES is well coded... but lacks the spirit.... and what is nostalgia all about?

Dakusan

• Programmer Person
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dakusan's Domain
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:06:55 pm »

I appreciate your fervor, but I would just not be comfortable giving it out in the state that it is in. It would be like asking a professional artist to give out their childhood doodles. It's just uncomfortable.

I understand the nostalgia and warmth behind it, as I always felt the same way about Windows 98 compared to the Windows NT line of products, but the fact that HyNES is so outdated and trumped by other software, it would be a disservice letting anyone waste time on it until it was in a proper state. I didn't even get the chance to build in much compatibility (only a few mappers IIRC), and the sound engine was hacked together without proper documentation and never sounded that great. There was so much I wanted to do with it, but unfortunately interest was lost due to mitigating circumstances, and at this point I consider it dead.

I do wish you luck though finding other projects to continue or help with. There is a lot of great open source software out there just waiting for anxious coders to do their part and contribute.